Small Estate Wills

Texas Small Estate Will Package & Child Protection Package

At Alexandra Geczi PLLC | Family Law, we believe that proper planning is important to success. This belief holds true even for estate planning. By preparing for the inevitable, you will help alleviate some of the grief and stress that your loved ones will experience in the wake of your passing. We encourage all of our clients to get basic will packages so that they and their families are taken care of.

Get Started Now

Our Small Estate Package includes

  • Last Will and Testament (the Will)
  • Living Will (a/k/a Directive to Physicians)
  • Medical Power of Attorney
  • Durable Power of Attorney

You can also add on these important documents:

  • HIPAA Release
  • Memorial & Funeral Instructions
  • Donor Election Form

If you have minor children, you should also have a Child Protection Package, which includes;

  • Family Emergency ID Card to tell First Responders who to contact
  • Designation of Temporary Guardian for Minor Children (to care for your children until the permanent guardian can get to them)
  • Letter to Temporary Guardian
  • Children’s Healthcare & Personal Information form (to let caregivers know about your child’s needs)
  • Medical Power of Attorney for Minor Child (to allow caregivers to provide medical care for your child if you cannot)

Get Started Now

You have three choices when it comes to estate planning:

  • Do Nothing
  • Will-based Planning
  • Trust-based Planning

If you do nothing, then the State of Texas has a plan for you called intestacy. Through intestacy, the state will determine who gets your assets according to a hierarchy of relationships determined by the state. As such, your assets may end up in the hands of people you did not intend to leave it to.

If you have minor children, the state may have to intervene to determine what will happen to them. Even if permanent guardians have been appointed, there may be an interim period of time before the guardians can get to them. During that time, the State of Texas may keep your children in foster care.

With will-based planning, you get to designate a representative to administer your estate and distribute your assets according to your written wishes. A will can also provide for what happens to your pets. If you have minor children, many lawyers offering will packages do not offer family protection plans. We think family protection is an important part of your estate plan, so our packages can include documents that will help protect your children.

Trust-based planning is more complex and is beyond the scope of what our firm offers. However, we have professional relationships with several excellent estate planning lawyers and can make recommendations based on your needs.

Get Started Now

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Last Will and Testament (the Will)?

Called a Last Will and Testament, this document ensures that your assets will pass to the people or entities that you choose, including charities. If you have minor children, you can designate a permanent guardian for them. If your will leaves your assets to your children, then it can create a trust so that the assets are managed by a person you designate until they are old enough to inherit it outright.

What is a Living Will?

Also known as a Directive to Physicians, this document allows you to choose the type of end-of-life medical treatment you would like to have. It serves to inform your doctors whether you want extraordinary medical measure taken, like being kept on a respirator, especially if doing so would cause you pain or only prolong the dying process. This document backs up the Medical Power of Attorney.

What is a Medical Power of Attorney?

With a Medical Power of Attorney, you can designate a person to make healthcare decisions for you in the event that you cannot make such decisions. For example, you may be unconscious but requiring medical procedures to be performed. It also authorizes your agent to obtain copies of your medical records. You can revoke the Medical Power of Attorney at any time.

What is a Durable Power of Attorney?

The Durable (or Statutory) Power of Attorney allows you to designate a person to make financial decisions for you in the event you cannot make such decisions. We often use these for older parents to allow their adult children to manage their accounts, but it can also be used in the event you are incapacitated and unable to make financial decisions. For example, the durable power of attorney could be used to pay your bills while you were in the hospital recovering from an accident.

Add-on Package

What is a HIPAA Release?

Your Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information is required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”). This document allows you to designate people who can obtain your protected health information on your behalf in order to make informed decisions about your care and the payment of medical bills.

What are Memorial Instructions ?

In the event of your death, your loved ones may not be able to think clearly. Within hours of your passing, they will be asked to make important decisions, such as memorial instructions or funeral arrangements. This document allows you to provide important information to your family and loved ones as to what you would like to happen. You can provide instructions regarding burial or cremation, and a description of the kind of service you would like.

What is a Donor Election Form?

One of the first calls your loved ones will receive within hours of your passing is whether you are an organ donor or whether they would like to donate your organs. Our package provides a donor election form that helps them with this sometimes difficult decision.

Child Protection Package

What is a Designation of Temporary Guardian for Minor Children?

There may be a period of time before the permanent guardian can get to your children. A temporary guardian can be someone close by that you trust to care for your children during this time. This document allows you to appoint such person. Without a temporary guardian in place, the state may decide where your children go during the interim period, which could include the foster care system.

What is a Letter to Temporary Guardian?

This letter outlines the temporary guardian’s role and responsibilities in the process.

What is a Family Emergency ID Card?

This is a card you keep in your wallet. It tells first responders that you have minor children who may be in school or at home and names people to contact to care for your children.

What is a Children’s Healthcare & Personal Information form?

This document informs the guardians of your children of their relevant medical information, such as doctors, allergies, medications, etc., and personal information, such as a list of immediate family members, school, church, and financial information.

What is a Medical Power of Attorney for Child?

This document allows your temporary guardian to make medical decisions for your children until the permanent guardian is appointed.

Get Started Now